All About History Books on Amazon

Memoires of Jacques du Clercq

This is a translation of the 'Memoires of Jacques du Clercq', published in 1823 in two volumes, edited by Frederic, Baron de Reissenberg. In his introduction Reissenberg writes: 'Jacques du Clercq tells us that he was born in 1424, and that he was a licentiate in law and a counsellor to Philip the Good, Duke of Burgundy, in the castellany of Douai, Lille, and Orchies. It appears that he established his residence at Arras. In 1446, he married the daughter of Baldwin de la Lacherie, a gentleman who lived in Lille. We read in the fifth book of his Memoirs that his father, also named Jacques du Clercq, had married a lady of the Le Camelin family, from Compiègne. His ancestors, always attached to the counts of Flanders, had constantly served them, whether in their councils or in their armies.' The Memoires cover a period of nineteen years beginning in in 1448, ending in in 1467. It appears that the author had intended to extend the Memoirs beyond that date; no doubt illness or death prevented him from carrying out this plan. As Reissenberg writes the 'merit of this work lies in the simplicity of its narrative, in its tone of good faith, and in a certain air of frankness which naturally wins the reader’s confidence.' Du Clercq ranges from events of national and international importance, including events of the Wars of the Roses in England, to simple, everyday local events such as marriages, robberies, murders, trials and deaths, including that of his own father in Book 5; one of his last entries.

Available at Amazon in eBook and Paperback format.

Antonini Itinerarium aka Antonine Itinerary

Antonini Itinerarium aka Antonine Itinerary is in Georgian Books.

Antonini Itinerarium aka Antonine Itinerary aka Gale's Itinerary by Thomas Gale was published posthumously, with notes, by his son Roger Gale [aged 35].

Kennet

CUNETIO. At the sources of the river Cunetion (Kennett) stands a town of the same name. The whole neighborhood abounds with the remains of Castles and Mounds. I omit Aubury and Silbury, as they are works of uncertain origin: but at the hill which they call Martinsall hill, a rampart protrudes, which, with its square form, and a coin of Constantine unearthed not so long ago, argues that it was Roman. The neighboring field also bears three pyramidal stones, similar to those prostrate Hermes of the Isurians, whom the Devils Coits [Map]. The common people attribute the Devil to his name of Diabolic Discs.

CUNETIONE. ad fontes fluvii Cunetîonis (Kennett) stat oppidum ejusdem nominis. Vicina regio tota scatet Castrorum & Tumulorum reliquiis. Aubury & Silbury taceo utpote incertæ originis opera: sed ad collem quem vocant Martinsall hill fese prodit vallum, quod & forma quadrata, & Constantini nummus non ita pridem erutus, Romanum fuiise arguit. Ager etiam vicinus oftendit tres lapides pyramidales, Hermis illis Isurianis prorfus similes, quos Devils Coits. de vulgus Diabolo attribuit suo nomine Discorum Diabolicorum.